Being a warrior is part of the way that God designed us girls. God designed us to be a mighty ezer. You may not be familiar with the word ezer, but it is the word that we often translate as "helper." Genesis 2:18-20 tells us, “The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
Helper is a word we think we understand. The helper assists and brings their skills and efforts to help make something happen. The helper is not a main character, but plays a lesser or supporting role. This, however, is not a good understanding of the word ezer.
As we look at how the word ezer is translated across scripture, we can gain a much richer understanding of what the word really means. The word ezer is used to refer to military power and strength, as well as to God himself as defender and protector.
- Who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty. Deuteronomy 33:26
- He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Deuteronomy 33:29
- We wait and hope in the Lord, he is our help and shield. Psalm 33:20
- You are my help and my deliverer; Lord, do not delay. Psalm 70:5
- You who fear him, trust in the Lord, he is their help and shield Psalm 115:9-11
- I lift up my eyes to the mountains--where does my help come from? My helpcomes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2
- You are destroyed, Israel, because you are against me, against your helper. Hosea 13:19
We are not equipped to do the job like God does, but he equips us with his power. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. God will equip you with his armor to face whatever comes your way. In Ephesians 6:11 Paul tells us, “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” You are never left to fight alone.
So be the warrior princess facing the battle; help those who need. Sometimes the warrior in us comes out against the people we love instead of defending them. Remember that you and your spouse are a team, working with and for one another. Your children need you to protect them and guide them. You will stand strong through many challenges in life.
Daughter, warrior princess, be a strong ezer FOR your God, and your family, and your community. You are His daughter, made in His image, designed to defend your faith and your family. Live as the warrior princess that God designed you to be!